Guide bags come in a variety of shapes and sizes, but one thing is clear, if you are leading clients you need to ensure you have the correct equipment. Here at WyeMTB we like to split this bag into two main sections
1 Emergency group kit e.g. if a rider is hurt and needs medical assistance, do you have the provision to keep the group and the casualty comfortable and protected from the elements?
2 Bike repair kit
Avoidance is better than cure, so if the Guide checks their clients are carrying the following items;
- a spare layer
- a rear mech hanger for their bike
- inner tube
- their own medication
Additionally, by having the clients complete a full M check of their bikes at home, they should identify any issues with the bike before they head out on the guided ride.
Guided rides happen in a vast array of locations; the local park, the local trail centre in the Forest of Dean and the deepest darkest parts of the Brecon Beacons National Park. The further you move away from civilisation the higher the consequences are if there is a accident or a mechanical. Having a fully equipped bag that is checked before every ride will help with these incidents.
The essential equipment for a British Cycling Mountain Bike Leader will carry in their guide bag.
- Well stocked first aid kit – including trauma bandage, we keep this close to hand!
- A comprehensive bike repair kit
- Group Shelter, check our Blog on group shelters, and a survival blanket or Blizzard blanket
- Extra layer for the casualty to wear if they have an off, ideally a synthetic layer works well as it hasgreat thermal qualities even when wet
- Spare hat and gloves – This could be weather dependent however e.g. if its 30′ outside do you need these extras?
- Nokia phone where the battery lasts for ever. Make sure you register it with 999 which allows you to text in an emergency if you don’t have mobile signal
- Physical map of the area you are working in, a compass and the skills to use them both!
- Procedures in place – late back, accident/injury, mechanical beyond repair
- Energy gel – for those clients at risk of bonking!
WyeMTB run a number of short courses from Pedalabikeaway trail centre in the Forest of Dean, one of our most popular courses is Trail side repairs. If you want to bush up on those skills check the half day course out.