The Fundamentals of Mountain Bike Leadership Award is a new, accessible mountain bike leadership course where leadership principles take centre stage. This British Cycling course has been developed by experts from the outdoor industry to enable you to lead groups of children, young people and adults in easy to moderate off-road environments
As a new leader, beginning your mountain bike leadership journey, this award will enable you to gain the tools and understanding to become a good safe leader. This course develops your skills in preparing for led rides, route planning, simple trailside repairs and managing accidents and emergencies all underpinned by transformational leadership techniques.
Developed in partnership between British Cycling and experts in the outdoor adventure leadership industry, this course is ideal for anyone who wants to lead groups using mixed road and off-road environments from urban fringe and gravel tracks to open countryside, woodland and up to most trail centre blue routes. Schools and colleges, activity centres, groups, clubs or those looking to begin their mountain bike leadership journey whether paid or voluntary – this is your award!
The Fundamentals of Mountain Bike Leadership Award can be used as a standalone qualification, or as the optional first rung on the Mountain Bike Leadership Award pathway.
For the award to be fully complete and access the British Cycling insurance you will need to complete the following in full
- Complete the BC online learner before the 2 day practical course
- 2 day training course with a BC tutor
- Off road logbook, this could be Strava account, Garmin account or written as diary entry’s, this should shown to the tutor on the 2 day practical course
- 16hr Outdoor 1st aid training course
- Evidence of safe guard training: This is included in the course, but if you have already completed some safe guard training, this can be used in most cases