The Level 3 Mountain Bike Leadership is the highest level of the Mountain Bike Leadership program. This high level requires participants to be highly experienced and qualified at Level 2. The aim of the award is to allow leaders to lead Mountain bike rides in remote environments and on physically demanding trails of high technical difficulty.
Are you right for this course?
People wanting to book onto this course must have already completed their Level 2 award. Once this award is complete people are then required to complete an additional 30 rides, these rides need to show case the top end of the participant’s riding skills. We are looking for highly skilled mountain bike leaders who ride and lead on a regular basis.
The three-day training course builds upon the skills and knowledge gained at Level 2, with specific topics covered in more depth.
To attend the training, you will need to:
– be at least 18-years-old or over
– be well practised and fully qualified in the Level 2 Mountain Bike Leadership Award (or TCL or MBL Awards as appropriate)
– be a fit and committed mountain biker prepared to ride all day in challenging, up to black-graded terrain. You should be able to do this with energy in reserve in order to demonstrate appropriate levels of fitness
– be a skilful rider, competent at negotiating the typical trail features found in Level 3 terrain, where obvious line choices and rollable options are often not available. Required techniques include step-up, bunny-hop and drop-off skills
– be comfortable with reading a map, taking bearings and creating flow in a trail environment
– have a working knowledge of the variety of mechanical systems on current mountain bikes and a desire to increase this knowledge
– hold a current two-day outdoor First Aid certificate.